World famous South African paralympian Oscar Pistorius has been released from prison after spending a year of his 5 year sentence. Pistorius in 2014 shot his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp to death and claimed that he had thought she was a burglar. Oscar was set to be released earlier in August when he had reached his 10 month mark but those plans were halted by a South African women’s group that said that it was insensitive for Pistorius to be released during National women’s month.
His release has been met with a lot of outrage and a lot of facts have been misrepresented in the media but here is what we know:
- He was meant to be released on Tuesday but was released in the middle of the night to avoid media frenzy. Up until very late today, his family and lawyers believed he would be released on Tuesday.
- He was released just after 10pm South African time.
- Pistorius spent his first night here at his uncle’s home in Waterkloof last night.
- Extra guards have been brought to the house to keep occupants safe.
- He won’t be given an electronic tag as part of his correctional supervision; instead he has been allocated a probation officer.
There are groups already challenging this decision and we are sure that this isn’t last we hear of this story.
Many of you at home had a lot to say especially on twitter! Amongst other things this what people had to say.
Oscar being released from prison and it’s like i’m watching an episode from How To Get Away With Murder. #OscarPistorius
What’s better than winning gold at the Paralympics? Getting away with murder. #OscarPistorius
#OscarPistorius to be released. Because when you’re privileged, white & male you don’t pay as much for taking a life http://reneilwenews.com/2015/10/15/oscar-pistorius-to-be-released-from-prison/ …